Utah State Roller Club

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Loft ideas

Kyle McArthur
Administrator

Most know I have moved and have a place to have my birds with me. I am gonna build a new loft in the next month and was wondering what everyone wished they would have done to theirs after they have had their loft for awhile. Mine will be a 2 section loft. Approximately 8’ x 16’. Any tips or suggestions will be appreciated 

September 7, 2019 at 7:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jeff Summers
Administrator

Kyle,

Here is something I went to recently.  My nest boxes are 6 x 9 inches in size.  I got thinking of how wild birds nest in the wild.  Suprise this last year I raised more youngsters.  What I also did was I put 1/2 inch foam the kind with the foil on it.  The 4 x 8 foot sheets are about 10 bucks.  What I found is the foil reflects heat back to the eggs and youngsters.  I had fewer losses when it was cold and I avoided the single chick senario.  Also I found I can get more nests into a smaller area.  I was able to start breeding earlier with fewer loses associated with the cold.  Good luck on the new loft.

--

September 28, 2019 at 7:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jeff Summers
Administrator

Also I seen a loft design of an 8 x 16 where they used a 4 x 8 area on each end.  Then run a 4 x 8 area along the back of the structure a third nesting area.  It left a 4 x 8 area for feed storage.

--

September 28, 2019 at 7:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.